Study in Australia

Australia is one of the leading destinations for students who are looking to study abroad, and every year the number of international students increases. The low cost of living and tuition fees and excellent lifestyle and weather are the major reasons for the popularity of Australia as a study abroad destination.
Australians are very friendly and helpful people, with a great sense of humor and a natural ability to tell jokes and play with words. Sometimes we may appear cold because of our "private nature" which has been imported over the past 2 decades, but it just takes time to "break the ice” and everything goes well. Australians tend to follow each other a bit, like sheep on a hill. This happens because of the stability of Australian Institutions and the strong economy. In reality, Australia is considered one of the most competitive nations on Earth.
An outdoor lifestyle and love of sports punctuates Australian life. With more than 80 per cent of Australians living within 50 km of the coast, urban and secluded beaches are popular for leisure and holiday activities. The most popular watched sport in Australia is Australian Rules Football, with rugby, cricket, tennis, swimming, and of course surfing and yachting all popular participant and spectator sports.
Australia has a large multicultural population: approximately 23 per cent of the population is foreign born and almost 40 per cent are of mixed cultural origins. With such a mixture of people, you'll find a rich cultural scene along with a number of literature, arts and crafts, music, theatre and dance festivals celebrating indigenous, colonial and other cultures. Various ethnic groups have contributed to the richness of Australia's cuisine, from Greek to Vietnamese and Cantonese to Indian.
Australian Fast Facts

  • Official Name : Commonwealth of Australia
  • Area : 2,978,147 sq mi
  • Population : 19,222,000
  • Capital city : Canberra
  • Currency : Australian dollar
  • Major cities : Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
  • Language : English
  • Religion : Christianity
  • Major exports : Coal, Iron ore, Gold, meat, Wool and Live sheep, Wheat, Machinery and Transport equipment
Application process for Australia?
The Universities/institutions in Australia are divided in Tafe, private providers & universities. Australian institutions offer programs ranging from Year 11 & 12, diplomas, bachelor degrees, Graduate& postgraduate diplomas, Masters (By coursework & Research), PHD.Admissions are purely on the basis of a student’s academics & IELTS score. While applying for admissions one has to submit the following documents:
  • Marksheets& Passing certificate of Year 10 & Year 12.
  • IELTS Result Copy (If not given- conditional offer letter will be issued).
  • Marksheets of Bachelor’s degree.
  • Degree Certificate (Provisional degree certificate is acceptable, if original not received till date).
  • Marksheets& Degree certificate for PG/Masters degree, if completed in India.
  • Work Experience certificates (if applicable).
  • Statement of purpose/ Recommendation letters (Depending on course).
  • Application fees draft (Depending on the university).
What are ‘Assessment Levels’?
The Assessment Levels generally determine how likely you are to meet the conditions of an Australia Student Visa. The passport you hold and the education sector of your principal course will determine the appropriate ‘Assessment Level’ which your student visa application will be processed at. Level 1 is the lowest assessment level and 5 is the highest. The higher the level, the more evidence you will need to provide on things such as your English language skills and your financial situation.
Can I lodge my initial student visa application while I’m in Australia?
If you are Assessment Level 2 to 5 your initial visa application can only be submitted outside of Australia, unless you can show exceptional reasons for you to be granted a student visa whilst in Australia.
I am resident outside my country of citizenship. Where do I apply from?
You must apply for your Australian Student Visa at the office responsible for processing student visas in your country of residence.
When do I have to sit the English proficiency test?
You must take the test before you apply for your student visa or the test will not be considered for this application. If you are required to sit an approved test to show your English language skills, the test is only acceptable if taken no more than 2 years before making your Oz student visa application.
Can I pass TOEFL instead of IELTS?
A TOEFL English language test will only be accepted if you are citizen of one of the following countries: Belarus, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Kyrgyzstan, Mali, Moldova, Solomon Islands, Suriname, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Uganda, and Uzbekistan.
I can’t get an appointment to sit an English language test, but my education provider is satisfied with my level of English. Can I get a visa?
No. Where an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test is required (for Assessment Level 3-5 applicants), then you must sit the test before you make your student visa application for Australia. This is a legislative requirement that cannot be waived.
What evidence of funds do I need to provide?
To get a visa to study in Australia you must show the Australian Immigration authorities that you have enough money to pay for your travel, education and living costs for you and your family unit members while you are in Australia.
 You must show enough funds to cover your annual course fees, travel costs to and from Australia per person (one return trip only), and living expenses as follows:
  • You: AU$12,000
  • Your spouse: AU$4200
  • First child: AU$2400
  • Each extra child: AU$1800
  • School costs each year for every child aged between 5 and 18 years: AU$8000
 Does the money have to be my own?
The money source to support you and your family in Australia depends on the Assessment Level your application will be processed at.

Do I need Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)?
You must have acceptable health insurance cover by paying the OSHC for yourself and any accompanying family unit members. Norwegian students with Norwegian National Insurance cover and Swedish students with international cover arranged through the National Board of Student Aid are covered and do not need to take up OSHC.
How can I arrange OSHC?
You have to either ask your education provider in Australia to organise your health insurance cover on your behalf or select an approved OSHC provider yourself. You must provide the office processing your Australia student visa with a receipt of payment of the OSHC fee or other evidence that you are covered by OSHC before your student visa is granted.
Do I need to send original documents with my application?
No, you do not need to provide original documents with your Oz student visa application. If the Australian Immigration authorities require original documents at any later stage they will ask for it. You should provide certified copies of original documents.
What is a “certified copy”?
A certified copy is a copy which is authorised as a true copy by a person before whom a Statutory Declaration can be made e.g. magistrates, Justice of the Peace, Commissioner of Declarations, Commissioner for Affidavits, solicitors, registered medical practitioners, bank managers etc.
Do my documents need to be translated into English?
Yes. Documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by an English translation. If you are applying in Australia, the translator must be accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). If you are overseas, you should ask at your nearest Australian embassy or consulate for further information about how to get your documents translated.

Can I travel overseas while I’m in Australia on a student visa?
Yes. The Australian Student Visa is a multiple-entry visa which means you can leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you like during its validity.
Can I work on my Australia Student Visa?
Initially, your student visa will not allow you to work in Australia. However, after you have arrived in Australia and are able to show that you have commenced your course of study, you can apply for permission to work.

Can I work full-time?
Once you have started your course and after you have been granted permission to work, you will be entitled to work for 20 hours per week during term time. You may only work full-time when your course is not in session, e.g. between semester one and semester two and between the end of the current academic year and the beginning of the next academic year.
Can my family join me in Australia?
If your application is processed at Assessment Level 1 or 2 the members of your family unit can apply for a student visa (all subclasses) to live with you in Australia. They can apply at the same time as you, or after you have arrived in Australia.
What if my application is processed at Assessment Level 3 to 5?
If your student visa is processed at Assessment Levels 3-5 your family members can be granted student visas only if your proposed course of study is longer than 12 months.
Who qualifies as a family unit member?
A member of the family unit is your spouse or any unmarried dependant children of you or your spouse, who are under 18 years old. All members of your family unit must be declared on your student visa application whether or not they intend to travel to Australia at any time. A member who is not declared will not be eligible for entry to Australia as your family unit member, except for a person who becomes a member after your application was decided.

How long can my family stay in Australia?
Periods of stay granted to members of your family unit will generally be the same as your period of stay on your student visa. Your family members should ensure they always hold a valid visa while in Australia.
Will my children go to school in Australia?
Any school-age family member (aged between 5 and 18 years) who will live with you in Australia is expected to attend school in Australia. You are fully responsible for their education costs.
How do I open an Australian Bank Account?
Our partner Traveltowork can open your Australian bank account before you leave home. Traveltowork partners ANZ and will provide you with your account details by email within 4-5 working days of your application. Once you arrive in Oz, you simply present your passport or driver’s licence at any ANZ branch to access your account.
If I am a student can I apply for a sponsorship visa?
Yes, a student can apply for a sponsorship visa while in Australia unless there is a condition 'No further Stay' bound to your student visa. You will be granted a bridging visa until the sponsorship visa is finalized.
Could my dependant work as well?
Yes, dependents are allowed to work full time if the visa is valid for 12 months or more.